It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am
All times are UTC

Fading Glory - Discussion

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]

Offline J.A.

Kodonn'Dakor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:48 am   Post subject: Fading Glory - Discussion   

Taking a cue from Rex, I'm opening a discussion thread about "Fading Glory" here. Any questions or comments about the scenes, post them here. Any suggestions of what you'd like to see or characters you like?

One thing I've noticed is that I like spending a lot more time in the characters' heads now, trying to flesh them out and make them more real. I always loved the action and thought that the action sequences are the best in all of SW, but if you don't identify emotionally with the characters, then the action is rather meaningless. So I want to really fill in details on these characters and get the reader to know and love them, so that when events happen they will have more impact upon the reader knowing these characters.

Also for a long time I put off starting on the rest of the stories from this point on because I didn't feel I was good enough of a writer. Well, at this point I think I am better, but whether or not I'm ready is beside the point, I need to write in order to improve. So as this story really builds us up in preparation for the big fight in "Destiny", I think it's also preparing me to write it. And actually posting as we go along is definitely motivating to actually sit down and write more, and hopefully to finally get this thing done with!

More scenes/chapters to come soon!

- Josh
Top Profile 

Offline J.A.

Kodonn'Dakor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:53 am   Post subject: Re: Fading Glory - Discussion   

So what do you guys think of the story so far?

I admit, it's kind of a slow start, but there's action to come. Right now I'm trying to focus on character development, to refresh everyone on who these characters are, and to try and get to know them and their lives better. All this will hopefully create more emotional impact when the coming battles occur.
One way I'm trying to make more depth in the characters is by using much more internal thoughts and monologues. These really get us into the heads of the POV characters and help us know them better.
Top Profile 

Offline J.A.

Kodonn'Dakor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:26 am   Post subject: Re: Fading Glory - Discussion   

Well, I'm just about done with the story - two more posts should finish it up. I have about 4 more short scenes to write, mainly just to close things up and get us ready for the next story, "Destiny". I'll probably do a quick re-read of "Fading Glory" and make any necessary edits, then launch straight in.

I've written the main scenes I had envisioned for this story... In fact, a few of them were the scenes that I wrote the whole story for. The rest of the story kind of built itself around them. At some points I felt myself dragging, a few scenes were difficult to get through, but overall I'm happy with the quality and I think I've gotten better as it's gone along.

Scenes I kind of structured this story around included: the Devastator assault, Mathis' spice scene, and later his stand against the Crinn, Zalaria wiping Nico's memory, the revelation of her past to Xar and her inability to tell him of the pregnancy, the Jedicon infiltration of Varnus, and developing Jinx's and Rynn's relationship.

What do you guys think? Again, in a couple of posts the story will wrap up, but it's really just a cliffhanger for "Destiny". In fact, the whole story is kind of a prologue for "Destiny". It's the story I've been waiting over ten years to write... So I'm looking forward to it!
Top Profile 

Offline J.A.

Kodonn'Dakor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:41 am   Post subject: Re: Fading Glory - Discussion   

Well, that's it! Finally, after about 8 years, a new Plotline story is finished! It clocked in at just about 100 pages in MS Word, which was exactly what I had estimated. Whew!

I am really excited to get onto the next story - Destiny. I've been waiting more than 10 years to write it, and at times I wondered if I would never get around to it. Give me another week or two to do one good re-read and edit of Fading Glory and to work on the sequence of events for Destiny. Then I'll get to work and the biggest, baddest action sequence of the whole Plotline (and all of SW) will begin!

BTW... Thoughts on Fading Glory? Was it too long? I tried to focus mainly on character development, which isn't going to be able to happen too much in the next story. :P Anyway, comments are appreciated!

- Josh
Top Profile 
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]